University of New Haven
Alumni Association Online Community
The Online Community is provided by the Alumni Association and the University in an effort to facilitate communication among alumni for personal or University-related purposes and to allow alumni and friends of the University to register for events.
- Privacy and Security
The University of New Haven Alumni Association and the University have not, do not and will never sell alumni information to anyone. All alumni information is strictly guarded for use by individual alumni and the Alumni Association for personal and University-related purposes only.
The Alumni Association has taken all reasonable precautions to secure the personal information available through the Online Community. The Online Community is password-protected, which ensures access is restricted to registered University alumni only. Although this precaution should effectively protect any personal information available through the Online Community from abuse or outside interference, a certain degree of privacy risk is faced any time information is shared over the Internet. Therefore, through the Online Directory feature of the Online Community, you have the ability and choice to hide your information from being viewed by other community members.
In certain areas of the Online Community, we utilize SSL encryption to protect data transmissions and credit card processing. We also safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access, through access control procedures, network firewalls and physical security measures, to the best of our abilities.
- Policy and Guidelines for Proper Use
To safeguard the operation of the Online Community, the Alumni Association has adopted many guidelines and policies that are used by the University to govern conduct, particularly conduct that occurs in an online environment.
In addition to the University's policies and guidelines, users of the Online Community must abide by the following specific rules and regulations:
- Unauthorized transmission of any material from the Online Community is strictly prohibited. This includes copying, reproducing, republishing, uploading, downloading, posting, transmitting or duplicating any content or material. You may download or copy any provided material displayed on the Online Community for home, noncommercial and personal use only, provided, however, that you maintain all copyright, trademark and other notices contained in such material, and you agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any material accessed through the Online Community.
- Use of information or communications available through the Online Community for any commercial, public or political purpose is strictly prohibited. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to, solicitations for commercial services, “cold calling” or mailings for commercial purposes. Information available through the Online Community may be used for specific personal and University-related purposes only.
- Users shall not restrict nor inhibit any other user from enjoying any service on the Online Community. Posting obscene or vulgar material, the use of obscene or vulgar language or the use of abusive, defamatory, profane or threatening language of any kind will constitute a violation of the policies governing the use of the Online Community. Additionally, users shall not upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish any material containing a virus or any other knowingly harmful component.
- All aliases adopted by Online Community users are subject to approval by the University’s Office of Alumni Relations and/or the Alumni Association to ensure that the proper image is associated with the institution.
Neither the University nor the Alumni Association is responsible for screening communications in advance, and neither the University nor the Association will actively monitor the use of the Online Community. For this reason, it is essential that the alumni users of the Online Community report any abuses or misuse of the Online Community to the Office of Alumni Relations and/or the Alumni Association. If it is determined that a user's participation in the Online Community creates a liability for the Alumni Association or the University, or that the user has violated the policies set forth herein, the Office of Alumni Relations and/or the Alumni Association reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to take action against the user. The Alumni Association reserves the right to expel and/or deny a user further access to the Online Community if such a user violates these policies or any applicable laws or regulations.
- Liability and Indemnity
The reliability of the information available through the Online Community is largely dependent upon the actions of community registrants. The Alumni Association can make no promises about the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of this information.
The Alumni Association does not guarantee that the Online Community website will operate free of error or that the site and its server are free of computer viruses or other harmful material. To the fullest extent permitted by the law, the Alumni Association disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of merchantability, non-infringement and fitness for particular purpose. In no event shall the Alumni Association nor the University be liable for any damages whatsoever including, without limitation, incidental, consequential or punitive damages resulting from the use of or inability to use information or materials available on the Online Community.
By using the Online Community, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Alumni Association, the University and their respective agents from and against any and all losses, claims, damages, costs and expenses that may arise from your use of the Online Community or your breach of these policies. The Alumni Association will provide notice to you of any such action or claim, and reserves the right to participate, at our expense, in the investigation, settlement and defense of any such action or claim.
- Collection and Use of Information
- Personal Information
You can visit parts of the Online Community without revealing any personal information. However, we need certain personal information if you wish to register for events, create an account, receive the Alumni & Friends e-Newsletter or use other features of the Online Community.
Where required, this information may include your personal contact information, company contact information and credit card information. The Office of Alumni Relations and/or the Alumni Association will use this information to reply to your inquiries, register you for events, set up your account and to contact you regarding new services and features.
- Non-Personal Information
The Online Community may, at times, automatically receive and record non-personal information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, cookie information and the page you requested. The Office of Alumni Relations may use this information to customize the advertising and content you see and to fulfill your requests for certain products and services.
Please note that the Alumni Association may revise these policies and your continued use of the site constitutes your agreement to comply with such modifications. You should review the policies periodically to ensure that you are familiar with them. Your continued use of the Online Community after any such amendments signifies your acceptance thereof.
Participation in the Online Community is a privilege. By registering, you agree to abide by the Online Community policies outlined herein as well as any and all applicable policies of the University of New Haven.